Wednesday 23 April 2008

The Silent View

Day 1

It’s been exactly 25 days since I stopped talking with my family members. I can’t talk or move anymore. That’s my condition but I can sense whatever is happening around me.

I never knew my son Venkat was like this. I thought he was a god-fearing and disciplined boy.

During the times I worked for PAS Motors, I used to wake him up early in the morning for him to prepare for his exams. He was never an 80-90 scorer. I felt he worked hard but could never convert his hard work into big scores.

I even had a good opinion of his friends Murali, Prakash, Ameen and Kumar. Yes, they were his ‘group-study’ mates.

But today these 23-year olds are sitting right in front of me and boozing. And this so called silent boy Murali, who has spoken nothing but the words ‘Hello Uncle’ in front of me, is now annoyed that the pickle is not spicy.

That’s laughable but still annoying!

Ooh no! Kumar just vomited on the 5000-rupee teakwood table that I had bought with my bonus amount.

The language these guys are using is incredible. I’m shocked to see my son behave like this.
But who cares about what I feel?


Day 5

Here comes Lalitha, my sweet little daughter.
What is she doing here at this hour? She should be in her office.
Oh no, is there a strike in the city or is the weather very bad outside?
What has made my beautiful princess get back home at this time?
I can’t even make her a cup of coffee.

Oh hang on, there is a friend coming in with her.
Who’s that?
My goodness, that’s a guy.

I’ve never seen Lalitha speak to guys but this is strange.
We come from a very orthodox family and I raised my girl in a very conservative way.
I thought even she was happy about that.

Aaaaah! It’s totally dark now; the lights are on but the guy has put his jacket on me. Why the hell did he remove his jacket? I can hear them moving to the bedroom. They’ve locked the door.

No! Lalitha, this is definitely wrong; you can’t do this before your marriage.

But, is there a point in me grumbling?


Day 10
It’s 11 AM now. My house is usually silent during daytime as everyone goes to work but I can hear footsteps climbing the stairs now.


Who is going to surprise me today?

Ah, here he comes, my dear brother, Gopal. He used to come here twice a week to visit me but I don’t see him often these days. We grew up together and were very affectionate towards each other.

But what is he doing here when no one is around?
By the way, how did he get in? No, I don’t have an answer.

My goodness, he has got a duplicate key to my safe.
This is unbelievable!
This is a farcical world.


Day 12
You know something; I’m really pissed off. My wife has always been courteous but today she behaved in a way that makes me feel very bad but I’m helpless and I feel like crying.


That’s my situation.

She threw away the flower garland that had been hanging around for a month.
It was reeking but thank God she finally had the time to throw it away.
No, I’m not dreaming to get a new one. She definitely wouldn’t get it.

I think she is upset about the money that was stolen from our safe.
How much was it? I think it was around 25,000 Rs.
Too big an amount to be inconspicuous, is it not?

I can’t say I’ve been good all my life but I’ve never seen these people behave so strangely.

Now I realize that all I wanted was this silent view to understand this strange world.

Oh I was talking about the garland, wasn’t I? You may be wondering why.

I died last month in a car accident and now I am talking to you from my garland less portrait.

1 comment:

Deepika Ramesh said...

Arvi, according to me, this one is the best of all your stories. Trust me, I was moved after reading this story. I believe that a lot of people are behind the masks. You have given apt title for this story.